Make sure what was working still does, so that your customers are not inconvenienced
What is regression testing?
When a software development team make changes to their code, it can have unforeseen consequences and negatively affect parts of the system that they thought were unrelated.
Regression testing is performed on software to ensure that new changes such as new features, bug fixes or configuration alterations, have not broken the existing functionality. It is a highly repetitive activity and testers often perceive it as a tedious one.
Why is regression testing important?
Regression testing lowers the risk of:
- A damaging experience for customers
- Customer support having to deal with issues
- Reputational damage
It helps you remain proud of the product you deliver to customers!
Automating your regression testing gives you the following advantages:
- Improve software development time by reducing regression testing time.
- Find more defects (before your users do) by expanding your test coverage.
- Save manual effort
- Take a look at the ‘typical example’ below to see how regression testing effort builds up over time!
Why use a managed service?
A managed service will give you the following advantages:
- Lower the number of testers you require in house
- Lower the specific skill set of the testers you require in house
- Simplify your team organisation
- Focus on your core business, not re-inventing the test automation wheel
Here’s a typical example
… all seems pretty easy
… a few more features added
… a lot of features have been added
… even more features have been added
… and you realise you need to regression test on your users most popular 3 browsers
… and you realise you need to regression test both your English and German language versions
… and you realise you need to test a variety of data scenarios